A day with... Natanja Hunter
17th April 2020
Understandably, times are hard right now and many businesses are now working from home, team Xalient included. We thought we would open to door into some of the teams homes, starting with Senior Service Delivery Manager, Natanja Hunter.
What is your working from home routine?
I try to start each day with 30 minutes of getting familiar with my day. That actually starts the night before with reviewing the days schedule, ensuring that my meetings don’t overlap, etc. First thing in the morning, I check my schedule to see if there are any high priority issues that I need to be immediately addressed, then double check my calendar. If all is well, I have about 25 mins to read (devotionals, the news, etc.) before I have to start moving.
After I shower and dress, I dial into my 7:30AM Daily Operations call. While listening in I will often walk the dog (Charlie!) and then get started with Round 2 of my day.
Working in the States for a company headquartered in the UK means that my mornings are typically packed, so I’ll get through morning meetings, eat lunch and then start get started with the afternoon. I try to log off by 5PM to give Charlie an evening walk and then workout. Then I’ll check back in sometime around 8PM to ensure I haven’t missed anything and review my calendar for the next day.
And what would your advice be for those who aren’t used to working from home?
- Find a spot for your “office”. If that’s not a dedicated room, make room some place so that you are able to get oriented and subconsciously recognize that when you sit there, it’s time to work.
- Shower and get dressed! Just doing so wakes you up and tells your body it’s time to get started for the day. Besides, you never know when someone will want to video conference. 😉
- Take breaks. Don’t eat every meal at your desk. Get a stand-up desk (with a mat) if you can, it helps. Don’t bring your laptop into your living room and bedroom. When you leave your “office” wherever that may be, leave the laptop there! A lot of folks don’t realize how easy it is to put in 12+ hour days if you always have your laptop with you. (I’m also horrible at taking this advice so this a reminder for me as well!)
As a Senior Service Delivery Manager what tools do you find useful when working from home?
- A stand up desk
- Bluetooth audio devices
- Coffee and tea
- A large water bottle
- A diffuser and essential oils
- A candle
- Music! Lo-Fi has become a favorite for me to “zone out” to
- Closing the blinds if there are a lot of people, kids, activity outside so Charlie doesn’t bark!
Xalient have introduced a ‘quaranteam’ scheme to encourage employees to take on a new challenge whilst working from home.
What is your ‘quaranteam’ challenge?
- Stay hydrated drink (at least 80 ounces of water a day)
- Work out at least 3 times a week
- Make meals at home and make use of all the food I’ve been buying for the last 2 weeks 😊
And finally, we want to offer you the opportunity to use our platform to send a message to all the amazing people out there fighting to keep us safe:
Be kind. To yourself and to others. Remember that this is a fluid situation and as things change from day to day, we will need to react accordingly. We are so much stronger when we work together. When my mind starts to get too negative, I re-focus with a quote or thought. My personal favorite is Philippians 4:8. Find a way to stay positive. We will get through this!